Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tinfoil Dinners

Tinfoil dinners, also known as hobo dinners, or campfire dinners, are one of the most simple dinners that I've ever made.  The end product is always delicious & the clean-up, or lack there of, can't be beat!   My mom used to make these dinners for my family growing up.  Over the years I've known a few other families that have had tinfoil dinners too, but incase there is someone out there who hasn't, this is for you! 

To make your own tinfoil dinners you'll need nothing more than a few sheets of tinfoil, 1 lb. of ground beef (will make 3 dinners), 1/2 head of cabbage, 3 potatoes, 3 carrots, 1 small onion, Allegro marinade or worcestershire, salt & pepper.  To make, start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.  Get 3 sheet of tinfoil, about 1 1/2 ft. long.  Divide the ground beef into 1/3 lb. hamburger patties.  Place the patties in the middle of the sheets of tinfoil.  Cut the potatoes into 1in. cubes, the carrot into 1/2 in. slices, the onion into rings, & the cabbage into small pieces.  Place all the vegetables around & on top of the burger patties.  Then pour a few dashes(or as much as you'd like) of Allegro marinade or worcestershire over the entire tinfoil dinner.  Salt & pepper to taste.  Wrap the tinfoil up into a packet, tightly.  Place the tinfoil packets onto a baking sheet & then they're ready for the oven.  Bake for 45 min. or until the beef is done & the vegetables are tender. 

These tinfoil dinners can be made into several different variations.  The last time I made them, I made 1 extra with a chicken breast instead of beef.  You could also try these at your next cook-out or bon fire get-together.  My son enjoys to eat his with a side of A1 steak sauce.  I believe it's my sister who prefers her's with ketchup.  I think they're perfect just the way they are!  But you decide for yourself.  I hope you & your family enjoy them as much as our family has!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I love ketchup with this! Thanks for posting - I had forgotten about this, and it's something good and easy I can make on those busy nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're more than welcome! I remember making these at girl's camp. I can't remember if we had made these before we went there or if it was something we enjoyed afterwards.

    ReplyDelete