Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Mom's Meatloaf

Meatloaf can be a go-to meal after a long day at work, or even a comforting day at home.  Once you have prepped the ingredients for meatloaf, you just pop it in the oven & let the oven do the work.  I love meals that aren't too complicated, that come together deliciously, & that I know I want to have again.  For me that is my mom's meatloaf.  This isn't a traditional meatloaf, though you can make it your traditional meatloaf.  I've never had meatloaf anywhere near like this... because of one special ingredient.

The ingredients are as followed- 1 lb. of lean ground beef, 1 small onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 can of vegetable beef soup (special ingredient), 1 egg, a couple of dashes of worcestershire, salt & pepper.  Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, chop your vegetables, then add everything together in a 9in by 13in baking dish.  Mold your mixture into a meatloaf, about 2 inches tall. Then bake for 30-35 min.  I like to drain the excess oil out of the dish, but you want some oil to keep the meatloaf moist.  The top of the meatloaf should be browned & the center should be completely done-no pink.  For the topping (which is my favorite part), mix together 1 cup of ketchup, several dashes of worcestershire, & 2 tbsp of brown sugar.  Evenly distribute the ketchup mixture over the top of the meatloaf & bake another 10 min. 

The meatloaf is a winner every time for me.  It's moist, full of flavor, & fulfilling.  The meaty meatloaf with warm ketchup topping goes great with mashed potatoes, corn or peas.  It's a must have at my house.  You must have at your house as well!  Don't forget your biscuits either!

No comments:

Post a Comment